Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Homemdae Baby Food

















Ingredients
















Some of the 37 4 0z serving's made!

(I had to take the picture with the Light off because Zoey is sleeping nearby)













Enjoying whats on her new menu















I have always wanted to make homemade baby food but I just never knew where to start and from that never took the initiative.


This Christmas my cute Mother-in-law got me a Beba Baby food maker. So I did kind of cheat, but I am making tons of cheap and healthy baby food!


It is so much fun to make and I know it is healthier for Zoey, plus cheaper for Mom and dad. Now let me start off by saying I know tons of people who buy store bought food, including us for the past 4 months, and there is nothing wrong with that. But I have to admit how surprised Nick and I were to discover how much money you save buy making it your self. Also It really is healthier.


I kept hearing that phrase over and over but all anyone could ever say why was "it's fresh, made from your kitchen". As that is very important to me, I was looking for something else. I was reading some cook books for baby food when when I came across numerous books that said the same thing. This was what I wanted to hear, Store bought food has to maintain shelf life for a long time, so it's not that they are adding tons of preservatives but that they cooking the food at higher temperatures which kills the nutrients!


Now the cheaper part will really surprise you. I don't normally buy frozen unless something is out season or I need exact measurements ext, ext. But I bought a 16 oz bag of frozen green beans at Wal-mart for .96 cents cooked and pureed them and that made four 4oz servings. If I were to buy the Gerber green beans in the jar that would cost me .56 cents each. That is a savings of $1.28 with out tax. Now imagine that for every meal for several months! It's amazing the savings with a little steam cooking and pureeing can do.
On Zoey's Menu this week:
Butternut Squash, Potatoes with Carrots and Turnips, Zucchini Squash, Zucchini Squash with Potatoes, Carrots, Apples and pears, Butternut Squash and Potatoes, Sweet Peas, Green Beans.
Whenever I get done making a huge batch of baby food and put it all in the freezer I love to randomly look in the freezer and see all the fun colors and look at the cute containers all of her food is in. Yesterday when Nick came home from work I had him enjoy one of these moments with me by looking at of the finished baby food. :) It was great!

2 comments:

Jill and Chris said...

That is awesome! Way to be. I should probably do that for this next little one. Baby food is SO expensive and it stinks to high heaven. :D Any idea how much your processor cost?

Paula said...

I'm glad it's working out for you! You are inspiring me to do the same this time around, thanks!